Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The End of the Season

It's been more than a few months now since I have left Missouri. At the time of my departure, Mark and I were getting ready to start cobbing in the rocketstove.... The days, and especially nights, were starting to become much colder and more harsh, and Alyson, Mark, and Cole were ready to be moving into the barn.

At the Colloquium I attended in late October I had to chance to share what I did this summer and put together a few pictures that showed the progress of the barn. It was put together to focus on certain aspects of the process that I found to be of interest. Here are the slides:


Rural Missouri





The barn as it was when I arrived...





Reclaimed sub-floor from an old torn down gymnasium....





Roof truss sections constructed out of wood from pallets....





Jig assembly of the first roof truss...





Fourteen finished trusses...





Squared and plumed.....





Completed endoskeleton......





Sheet metal up, door and window bucks installed....





Earthbag foundation......





Corner detail....





Last of the details before putting the bales up....





Earthen adobe floor...





Three feet at a time...





Shaving the stacked and pinned bale walls...





Roof insulation....





Interior, this is the raised kitchen area with force
water pump retrofit....




Rocket stove test......





The barn just before external plastering....





Gooseberry Barnhaus





This experience in a work trade position, in which I actually lived and worked with a family who were so loving and open enough to sharing their home with me, has been truly unforgettable. In exchange for my time, labor, and ideas I received an empowering opportunity to work daily with one of the best natural builders I have come across. Not only that, but also have the chance to participate and be a part of the Gooseberry family, and that of the whole Red Earth Farms community, which was something that filled me and brought me to a newer level of living...... one of sharing.



No comments:

Post a Comment